Saturday, July 18, 2009

Walter Cronkite 1916 - 2009

Growing up in the sixties, my views of religion and politics were being formed. By the end of the sixties I realized that religion was ridiculous and politics was corrupt. But there was Walter Cronkite whom I trusted and admired even as a Canadian boy. He was the journalist's journalist and maybe the last of his kind. His nightly newscasts cultivated in me a hunger for news - that I still have. His obvious delight of space exploration and science in general reinforced in me the same feelings. Very few of my actual teachers had the same influence. So I was very sad to hear this and be reminded of mortality.

2 comments:

  1. You might be interested to know that Cronkite was a fierce opponent of the Libertarian Party which he considered a dangerous movement. He never had a good thing to say about libertarians. I thus now question just how trust worthy his news coverage was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that June I didn't know. But the fact remains he was an influence and of course at about the same time so was Ayn Rand. So here I am.

    ReplyDelete